Wednesday, July 7, 2010

summer in the (smaller) cities







So, I had to face facts. Post-Italy, my bank account looked like a Filene's after a clearance sale. In other words, totes empty. So my summer is unfolding with small-time grace, as I shuttle back and forth from Louisiana and Texas and learn from my family and friends here. Summer fun on the cheap? Beer, affordable whiskey (mixed with ginger ale, although Sprite and Coke combinations also work in a pinch), patio time, matinee movies, mini-dance parties, and days in the sun. By a pool, on a lake, on your damn sidewalk, the sun will save your day. Oh, and impromptu photo sessions are fun too. Shout-out to my Uncle Jerry for the above gem.

Shouts-outs, in fact, are also due to:
-Vintage Wine and Spirits, Shreveport's coziest, loveliest wine bar. It's on Line Avenue. Go. Happy Hour = 3.25 glasses of top-notch Italian vino.
-The fantastic Chaos of Monroe, Louisiana; they hosted me this past weekend as I visited my friends Chris and Allison Huff, in from Atlanta. The rockstar Vince Chao is a music collaborator of the Huffs'; his beautiful wife Anna Beth (AB) is a budding interior designer (see her blog here: http://www.hashai.com/, it's eye-candy). They have a magical porch where many beers were consumed and many new friendships made. A great Fourth!
-Barton Springs Pool in Austin, Texas, for offering afternoons of sun and swimming (in cool natural springs) for $3 a pop.
-Starbucks, for finally giving up; they now offer free wireless.
I was just thinking this afternoon about how many GOOD people are in my life--family, friends (old and new). Thankful, I am.






xx

No comments:

Post a Comment