Wednesday, January 20, 2010

mind the links

To the right, I've added a few applications that allow me to follow and interact with my favorite sites and blogs.

My favorite recent find? (UGA's Darren Grem, soon to be Dr. Grem, must be given credit for showing me the light.) "Nothing Recedes Like Success" is an effective enough title as it stands, plus its URL is, excited gasp, "historygossip.blogspot.com." A quip-savvy, slightly-cynical professional historian has gone underground but online, adopted a faux monker ("C. Vann Winchell," a play on the godfather of southern history, Comer Vann Woodward), and now posts juicy rants about the historical profession. His major theme seems to be basically that historians take themselves way too seriously. Amen. Also, his posts prove that the men (and sometimes women, although let's be honest, the profession is still sadly mostly a pouty boys' club) of this esteemed profession are often annoying, sometimes dirty (seriously, there are posts about noisy headboards), and flawed just like...well, normal people.

He also fishes for gossip in hotel hot-tubs. How I've never thought to do this at the many (oft-yawn-inducing) professional conferences I've attended at Marriots and Hyatts is now beyond me. I'm actually kind of jealous that Winchell's got the current corner on this schtick. To note, he's recently hist-gossiped about my own department here in Athens, GA. And guess what? He's spot-on in both his cynicism and his wit. I contemplated airing out the situation here in conversation with him...but I'm not quite ready to get in so much trouble as that.

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment