Friday, February 19, 2010

Dale had already figured it out

Re: my previous post, obviously Dale Hawkins has been on my mind for the past few days following his death last weekend. He received a nice obit write-up in the New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/arts/music/18hawkins.html] -- SO good to see the recognition given in a national forum. Dale contributed much to the early rock and roll scene, and I was particularly glad that the Times piece picked up, at least in brief, on his tenure with Checker Records (one of the first labels that placed black and white artists on the same bill during their tours in the 1950s, and they also put him on stage at the Apollo).

I could go on and on here detailing memories and anecdotes alike. I won't do that here, but I did want to mention something I discovered on his website early this morning that blew my mind and then fixed something firmly in my brain.

His website (http://www.dalehawkins.com/) has always been managed by a friend of his; its layout is simple and still looks like a fansite you'd find on a search engine in 1996. (I say that with love; this site was obviously put together with care.) In the photos section, Dale (or probably one of his friends as proxy) posted the two snapshots Dave and I sent him following our first visit to his studio back in 2005. One with Dale and Dave, one with Dale and me. And the captions?

"Dale with Lesley-Anne Reed, co-author of an upcoming book on Dale." (Dave's reads the same.)

When I saw that, I had to fight a few tears back. As I've told many of my friends over the past few days, one of my regrets is that I didn't speak with him more once the initial oral history project was over. I wish I'd spoken with him about the prospect of incorporating his life story into a book on southern music--one that would use Dale's journey as a case study to highlight the dynamics of the early rock scene in the South, taking into account issues of race, class (namely southern poverty), and even environment (Dale was always talking about how places looked, particularly the places in his memory). On the drive back over to Georgia this Wednesday, I pretty much decided that Dave and I have got to discuss making this finally happen.

But, see, Dale had already decided it would happen, in a way. I know now that it will. And not ten years from now. Soon!

[LA exits nostalgic mode and prepares to serve lattes.]

No comments:

Post a Comment