Friday, May 20, 2011

Summer comes to multiply.

I stole that title from Bon Iver ("Babies," from the EP Blood Bank).  They've finally got a new and self-titled album out in June (or...now, if you know how to get your hands on it and won't feel too guilty, wink wink).

This summer I return to my campus.  I've been off a college campus for one calendar year now.  After eight years ON them, that was a huge change.  I realize I belong on one.  Because it's truly the only place where it's always, always okay to be carrying tons of books, or drink five cups of coffee in one afternoon, or sit out on a lawn with your shoes off while you try to write.  There's a line from Vampire Weekend's debut album: "In the afternoon, you're out on the stone and grass.  And I'm sleeping on the balcony after class."  I guess I feel like that's been a big chunk of my life--lying on the stone and grass.

Here's to a burned-up-hot Georgia summer, going flipflop-less on campus, and the many, many esoteric conversations to be had over whiskey or sushi or various brunch items (all at different times, of course).

2 comments:

  1. i have the bon iver album already if you want it

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have it too :) i was trying to appear sly. thank you though!

    ReplyDelete