Sunday, June 26, 2011

keeper: all the news at the door/such revelry

Bon Iver, Bon Iver  

I didn't think that anything could top For Emma, Forever Ago.  The "my my my" chorus during "Skinny Love" made me cry so many damn times that I had to ban it from my shuffle for awhile.  I think the last time I heard it was the final straw--on a late Spring afternoon driving down Mopac Expressway in Austin, Texas, beer-buzzed (don't worry, I wasn't the one driving) and broken-hearted.  That whole album was about living and breathing with loss, and it became a big part of the evolving soundtrack of my twenties.

It's fitting that now there's renewal.  In this new album, the sadness is muted--replaced with melodies that are more tempting, a couple of intros near-epic, and words that are more hopeful about love in general.  In the middle of the track "Beth/Rest," he simply asks with no abandon, "Aren't we married?!"  The music is still haunting, still feels as rural and soft and full of gut, but the words are often almost giddy with childish fervor.

Check them out:

http://jagjaguwar.com/blog/2011/05/bon-iver-bon-iver-the-lyrics/

2 comments:

  1. cool, LA! glad you enjoy landship; i've been enjoying your blog efforts as well. i havent heard this album but will track it down soon. i am interested to know what "rural" sounds like for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well once you hear this album you'll get a sense of my personal take on "rural." Music is so subjective, huh. If you need a copy, Tore and I are both currently obsessed with and either one of us would gladly burn you a copy!

    ReplyDelete