Saturday, July 2, 2011

afternoon nap

I write to you during a quick coffee shop escape.  My dad arrived for his visit late last night, and today has been all about acclimating him to Athens, my little house, and, strangely, grassfed organic burgers.  The thing is, he always, always takes an afternoon nap.  So even if he gets on my nerves as these days pass (and how can a parent ever not, just a little?), I know I'll have at least a couple of hours every afternoon to sort the day out.

This morning we watched "The Towering Inferno."  No joke.  All three hours of it.  It was the 1970s' "Titanic," nail-biting and full of men trying to look sexy.  I knew 24 hours couldn't go by without a Paul Newman or Steve McQueen reference...I just didn't realize that we'd actually stage a viewing of their joint-film effort during the first real hours of our visit.  Spending time with my dad is all about pacing--gaging his mood and planning activities that fit well into the two-or-three-hour bubbles during which is not too tired or cranky.  Oh, wait, what does that sound like?  Having a child?

Once we reach a certain age, I guess these roles reverse for us all.  It is nice to have him around.  For a late-lunch today, we headed over to newly-opened Heirloom Cafe on Chase Street.  The grassfed burger is wonderful--topped with cheese, arugula, grilled Vidalias, and heirloom tomatoes.  Later this afternoon we'll make a trip to Earthfare and stock up on things like....chicken that father will expect me to fry.

I got nothing else today.  I'm trying to piece together an hour or two of writing.  But it's Saturday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment