Thursday, July 14, 2011

Recently, pop culture

Some embarrassing admissions:

1)  I've been watching "The Glee Project" on the Oxygen network.  This is where the producers of "Glee" turn the search for a new cast member into a reality show.  It's a way for them to make money off the format--have young, good-looking people sing Top 40--while the actual show is on hiatus.  But I've fallen in line.  I even have a crush on the skinny hipster candidate named Cameron who sings down the length of his nose.  I think anything associated with "Glee" is joyful.  It celebrates how hopeful really being young and excited is...and we all need a dose of that.

2)  My love for cheesy trivia ebbs and flows, and right now it's got me all pumped.  I'm sure I'll burn out again soon.  In the meantime, though, I quite-epically reunited with my pals Brian and Claire to kill at 90s-themed trivia last weekend.  This coming Sunday we're going to venture to Allen's to try some old-school questions.  Any of you fellow Athens nerds, feel free to hit me up and join.

3) We're viewing the Coen Brothers classic "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" in my class.  More on their reaction (and my re-viewing experience) later.

4) Am I the only person in the world who saw the new Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts movie "Larry Crowne" and realized that somehow it's got maybe the best and most endearing recent depiction of the pitfalls of higher education and the career-academic?  Julia Roberts plays a burned-out lit professor at a community college who drinks too much and hates life until she realizes that there's some magic she can tap into and help some younger folk get on track.  Of course, the rest of the movie...sucks.

Peace out, more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment