Thursday, June 2, 2011

The thing is done.


This is what the back of my car looked like early Monday morning right before my dad and I pulled out of Austin.  We drove in separate cars to Shreveport, and at 7am on Tuesday I hugged him goodbye and started down I-20 like so many times before.  Highlights of the drive?  Not many.  A man at a Chick-fil-a in Meridian, Mississippi, tried to hit on me with this line: "Honey, I do a lot of teachin' and preachin'."  I knew I was back down South.

I write to you from my favorite coffee shop here in Athens, Georgia (Jittery Joe's at Five Points).  It's summertime in a college town right now--everything is as slow as molasses.  It's bloody hot, my legs hurt from walking everywhere again.  Things look the same here.  It's comforting and scary all at once.  But I have felt the warmth of the arms of good friends around me.  And we're catching up, settling in again.  Last night I finished off a bottle of blueberry mead with my friends Kelli and Chelsea.  Translation?  I have no complaints.

School starts a week from tomorrow.  I've got a huge office on the third floor of LeConte Hall that I need to fill with books and coffee cups.  Updates to come on all of that.  I cannot wait to meet my students.

In the meantime, you Austin folk, you know who you are...log on to Kayak.com and book yourself a plane ticket.  It's nice here, and you should come see me.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment