Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Plants and no more animals

So I don't want to make some cyber speech about why I just went vegetarian. Most of my friends have been, quote, "I don't get it, why the hell would you stop eating meat after 27 years of enjoying it?"

My reply has been mostly this: that I want to challenge myself in a unique way. And if I'm challenging myself, I might as well be improving my health at the same time. I can't bear going vegan, but I will say that my main goals are to eliminate most animal fat, all animal meat, and most processed sugars as well as base my diet around plants. It's no secret that I'm embarking on a year full of stress (finishing a dissertation so I can walk across a stage in a weird robe), and I realized recently that cooking offers me a sense of stability. After a long day in front of the computer screen (I will probably be blinded in a few years' time), there is something so randomly but beautifully calming about pattering around a kitchen with one purpose--to make something taste good. Today I had kind of an off day, so I relished in spending an hour constructing some very involved black bean and spinach enchiladas. Maybe I will start posting some recipes. The thing about other people's recipes, though, is that the next person is destined to change it for their own better.

Okay, I'm tired.

Picture of the day: Bumper the cat, the only animal in this house (none of them mine, but I do live in a mini zoo) who lounges around in a sophisticated manner instead of scratching things and begging for food.



No comments:

Post a Comment